Saturday, November 14, 2009

My New Panama Hat



Last week, while Lindsay and I were wondering around town, I was flagged down from across the street by a man who was very concerned about my bald head being exposed to the sun. He was a really nice guy who immediately went to work trying to find me an appropriate hat. We had to go upstairs to his studio because my head is too large for standard hats. When we got upstairs we realized that we had been flagged down by Alberto Pulla who was written up as the most famous panama hat maker in Cuenca. Which says a lot because Cuenca is known for its panama hats. Why? I have no idea. But they even have a museum dedicated to them. Alberto Pulla is over 70 and has been makin hats since he was 6 years old. His studio was filled with paintings of him making hats, articles and photos published about him, and of course lots of hats. he took it upon himself to find me the perfect hat. I had a little say which one I got I pretty much just gave myself over to his judgement and he picked me out one just for me. so now I finally have a panama hat which I promised I´d get for Deb. You were right Deb its exactly what I needed.

Jeff (Beacon)

P.S.
Last week we were at a fireworks show downtown and the President showed up. So thats 2 of the last 10 Ecuadorian Presidents that we have had the chance to see or meet. Oh Yeah this is a small country.

2 comments:

  1. Ah muy buen mi hijo!!! You look dapper Jeff...and to meet Mr. Pulla, priceless!! I hope you guys are having the big fun...I keep expecting to see a photo of you painting portraits on the zocalo. Now you can in your new hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little shocked you'd be walking around without a hat. Alberto Pulla to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete